It is a little bit cooler in TN today, note I am saying a LITTLE bit cooler! It is August so it is never really cool but I have been thoroughly enjoying the occasional breeze we have had lately. Bill and I are heading to Indiana this weekend for Pulse Festival. We are looking forward to seeing everyone.
I hope you had the chance to check out the books yesterday! I am truly looking for some more good reading for this fall so I will be sharing more as I find them.
Let’s get to the recipes:
Prep Time: 25 Min Grill Time: 25
- 1 large ear sweet corn in husk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 6 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Carefully peel back corn husk to within 1 in. of bottom; remove silk. Brush corn with oil. Rewrap corn in husk and secure with kitchen string. Grill corn, covered, over medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until tender, turning often.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Thread asparagus spears onto two parallel metal or soaked wooden skewers. Rub shrimp with jerk seasoning; thread onto two skewers. Grill asparagus and shrimp, covered, over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender and shrimp turn pink, turning once.
- Cut corn from cob; place in a large bowl. Cut asparagus into 1-in. pieces; add to bowl. Add the shrimp, orzo and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 2 servings.
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) PHILADELPHIA Neufchatel Cheese
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 French bread baguette, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; beat until blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with baguette slices. Yield: 6 cups.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in berries and lemon juice. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until mixture just comes to a boil; pour into prepared crust. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.