Wow! It feels like the dead of Summer here lately! I gave up on running the Air Conditioning yesterday because the contractors have fans and heaters running to dry out the hardwood floors after the refrigerator leak. Ugh! I love Summer here though, it is beautiful and lately it has been gorgeous with all of the green rolling hills and the beautiful Pear Trees in bloom, Spring is everywhere here right now which is what made me think that it may be time to restock the fridge (after they are done with our floors) with some great Spring and Summer foods! YAY!
Let’s start with a great salad!
Orange and Baby Spinach Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing
- 3 medium oranges
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Finely grate peel of one orange; set aside. Cut the same orange in half; squeeze juice into a 1-cup measuring cup. Add the oil, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and reserved orange peel. Gradually whisk in vinegar; set aside.
- Peel and discard white membrane from remaining oranges; cut into sections.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, cheeses and orange sections. Drizzle with 1/4 cup vinaigrette and toss to coat. Refrigerate remaining vinaigrette for another use. Yield: 4 servings.
Crab and Broccoli Bisque
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white part only)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (6 ounces) frozen crabmeat, thawed, drained and flaked
- In a large saucepan, cook the leeks, mushrooms, broccoli and garlic in butter until broccoli is crisp-tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually add broth and cream.
- Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Add crab; heat through but do not boil. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Sorry, but I couldn’t help but add this one I found from Pillsbury!!!
Pillsbury Chocolate-Peanut Butter – Oatmeal Munchies
I pray you have an incredible day!!!