Woohoo! Is it hard for anyone other than me to believe it is already Labor Day Weekend? Where has the time gone? I wish I were up in Northern MI so I could walk the bridge on Monday, but no such luck this year – it is an amazing walk!
Here are a few simple recipes to help get you through the weekend – let’s start with a simple, tasty appetizer:
Veggie Wrap Appetizers
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons real bacon bits
- 8 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and dressing mix until blended. Beat in the onions, green chilies, olives, celery, red pepper and bacon. Spread over tortillas. Roll up. Cut each into 1-in. slices. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 5 dozen.
- 24 medium fresh mushrooms
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 8 bacon strips, cut into thirds
- 1 pound halibut, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- CHIVE BUTTER:
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced chives
- On 12 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread two mushrooms, two tomatoes and two pieces of bacon with four pieces of fish or seafood. Brush with melted butter.
- Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 5-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque, turning once. Combine butter and chives; serve with brochettes. Yield: 1 dozen.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a small bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the carrots, zucchini and pineapple. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 cupcakes.