Soup and sandwiches seems to be a favorite around here so I thought that might be a good thing to share on this rainy day we are having here in TN!
Prep Time: 30 Min Servings: 2
- 1 French roll, split
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/3 pound sliced deli roast beef
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 slices pepper Jack cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- Spread roll halves with butter; sprinkle with garlic powder. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute the green pepper, onion, salt and pepper in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute beef and hot sauce in remaining oil until heated through. Spoon onto buns; top with pepper mixture and cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Ham and Cheese Sandwich with a Twist
- 4 slices bread
- 2 slices fully cooked ham
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Fresh asparagus tips, cooked
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Place two slices of bread in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish or two individual baking dishes. Top each with a slice of ham and cheese; top with remaining bread.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, mustard and parsley. Pour over sandwiches. Let stand for 5 minutes; carefully turn sandwiches over and let stand 5 minutes longer.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Top with asparagus and cheese if desired. Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted into the egg mixture comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Hot Chicken Subs
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (6 ounces), cut into strips
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 slices provolone cheese (1 ounce each)
- 2 submarine buns, split
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, salt and pepper in oil until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute the peppers, onion, vinegar and garlic until vegetables are tender. Stir in pepper sauce and chicken.
- Place cheese on bun bottoms; top with chicken mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace bun tops. Yield: 2 servings.